One of the must-haves when traveling with a baby is a diaper bag backpack. A dilemma that all new mommas face: “which diaper bag backpack is the best for me and my baby?”
I had the same question while dealing with a packing situation. We were preparing for an 18-hour plane journey from Asia to Europe with a 2-month-old Thea. This was the first time I flew with a baby that was mine, and I was the caretaker. The days of a sigh and putting headphones on when somebody’s baby was screaming on an airplane were gone.
I did not bother about the shades of color or its style. What I needed was the largest backpack diaper bag available. Unfortunately, I failed at breastfeeding, and we were using the formula for my daughter. This also meant that for a trip that long I needed to pack many sterilized baby bottles and containers for the baby formula with measured amounts of the powder.
I did not know which of the backpacks for diaper bags would be the best for us. However, I definitely knew that it had to be the largest with plenty of features that make a diaper bag backpack awesome.
So, let’s review why you need a backpack for diaper bags and which one is the best for you and your family.
First, What is the Difference Between a Diaper Bag and a Backpack?
A diaper bag is a bag that is specifically designed to hold diapers, wipes, and hundreds of other baby-related items. They are usually better organized for easier access to the items you need.
On the other hand, just backpack is a bag with straps that you wear on your back. It can be used for carrying anything from books to laptops. Trust me, they don’t make the best backpacks for diaper bags no matter how spacious or stylish they are.
What to Consider When Buying a Backpack Diaper Bag for Traveling with Kids?
The best backpack diaper bag for traveling with babies should be: lightweight and durable. Ideally have plenty of pockets and compartments with easy access. Think of holding a baby in one arm and reaching out for a wet wipe with your other arm at the same time. Your diaper bag backpack must feel comfortable on your back and have a few extra features like a changing pad or built-in stroller straps.
Many different types of diaper bag backpacks are available for parents to use when traveling.
To help narrow down what type of bag you should purchase or borrow from a friend, here are some things to consider:
-What do I need?
-How much does my child need?
-Where am I going?
-How long will it take me to get there?
-What kind of diapers do I use?
-Do I need to carry multiple sterilized baby bottles and baby formula, or will I breastfeed?
Why You Should Choose a Lightweight Bag?
One of the most important things to consider when choosing a diaper bag backpack is how much you can carry. If you are just carrying diapers and a few other small items, then a lightweight bag will work for you.
If you have a lot of items that need to be carried with you, then it would be best to choose a larger and more traditional diaper bag backpack.
There are many benefits of using a lightweight diaper bag backpack. They are easier to carry around, they don’t weigh as much as heavier bags, and they can hold your basic necessities for your baby.
Why a Backpack Style is the Best for Travel?
A backpack-style diaper bag is the best for travel because it is hands-free, which means that you can take care of your baby and carry all of your belongings with you. They also have a lot of pockets and compartments to store everything that you need.
It also has a lot of storage space. This means that it will be easier to find everything in the bag. It is also great for families who have more than one child because they need to carry around multiple bags when they travel.
What to Pack in Your Backpack Diaper Bag When You’re Traveling by Airplane?
A travel diaper bag is a necessity for any parent who needs to bring their baby with them on an airplane. What you pack in your diaper bag will depend on the length of the trip, how long it will take to get to your destination, whether you breastfeed or not, and what kind of diapers you use.
A baby packing checklist:
- Diapers: Diapers are a necessary accessory for any parent. The average baby needs to be given a diaper change every two hours. It’s always better to be safe than sorry and have an extra pack of diapers in your bag.
- Wet wipes: You just can never have too many of these!
- Wet Bags: You can never have too many wet bags. They’re great for storing baby clothing soiled by diaper leaks or spit-up, storing pacifiers and baby bottles hygienically, and they come in handy when you’re out and about with your little one. Try using different colors for different purposes. For example, I used green shades for everything clean and sterilized. For everything dirty, I used wet bags with patterns and shades of the color red.
- Pacifiers: Pacifiers are a must-have for babies so make sure to pack yours hygienically. Pack multiple to be on the safe side. Also, don’t forget to pack extra bottle nipples. I still dread the memory of losing a pacifier at Melbourne airport and spending 8 hours on the plane to Singapore with no pacifier in hand, or mouth for that matter.
- Changing pad: A changing pad can be an essential part of your diaper bag. The good thing is that many diaper bag backpacks come with changing pads included.
- Extra clothes for baby: It is not uncommon for babies to soil their clothes in a matter of minutes. Having extra clothes with you will prevent unnecessary hassle.
- Toys Whether you’re traveling by car, plane, train, or boat, there’s bound to be a time when your baby starts to get fussy and needs something to play with. That’s why it’s important to pack some baby travel toys on every trip. You’ll be able to soothe them with an entertaining toy.
- Hat and the favorite blanket for your baby: It’s not easy to prepare for every type of weather when you’re traveling with your baby. Carrying a hat and blanket will go a long way in providing protection for your bundle of joy.
- Sunscreen: If your baby is six months or older, you should keep sunscreen in your backpack diaper bag to protect your baby from the sun.
- Baby Ointments: Baby ointments come in a variety of types, from tube-based creams to jarred baby creams. Make sure to take travel-friendly tube-based creams for convenient use on the go.
- A first-aid kit: I highly recommend carrying a first-aid kit in your diaper bag backpack while traveling. Should something happen, you just take what you need from your large and comfy diaper bag backpack.
- Food: This depends on whether or not your baby is eating solid foods if you are breastfeeding or preparing baby formula. Either of these ways requires careful planning.
- The first time I flew with my 2 months old daughter, I carried 8 baby bottles. It’s better to pack a bit too much than too little. With possible flight delays and even cancellations, make sure your diaper bag backpack has got you covered.
- Stuff for you. Don’t worry too much about packing something to keep yourself occupied, you’ve got a baby for that. Since we had a large diaper bag backpack, I used to pack a book or a magazine for myself. Never once was I able to read a single page.
Best Diapers Bag Backpacks and Brands in the Market
Now that we covered why you absolutely need a backpack diaper bag, the time has come to choose the best diaper bag backpack for you and your baby.
Below is a list of some of the best diaper bag backpacks for airplane travel with babies:
Why it’s great:
- Large Capacity: This diaper bag backpack has 18 convenient pockets to help you organise your items and make storage easy. There are also several insulated pockets for bottles, a large compartments for laptop and an anti-theft back pocket for the price. With a backpack, you can carry all the essentials that you and your baby need while leaving your hands free to do other tasks or carry your child.
- Special Features: Diaper Bag with Changing Station: With its extendable crib, this diaper bag is designed to offer your child’s comfort and safety on the go. Soft mattress makes baby nap time on the go easy and comfortable. This spacious clean and comfortable area ensures that your baby is unable to roll away while you’re changing their diaper. It is also perfect for makeshift changing stations on the go, as it can be assembled within seconds and removed again just as fast!
- Convenient & Comfortable: A good diaper bag can hold all your baby supplies with ease and will make life a lot easier on you. The shoulder straps on this bag are thick and have back support, so it’s comfortable to carry! And there are grab handles and custom D-rings, so you can attach it to the stroller for easy carrying too!
- Well-made Durable & Easy to Clean: Diaper bags are made from tough Oxford fabric. The zip-opening makes it easy to get at what you need, and the heavy-duty handles give you plenty of space for everything else. Covering your diaper bag with a waterproof coating is important. Without one, spills and stains are harder to clean and could absorb into the material. Your baby and you will love this environmentally friendly, pungent-smell-free and BPA-FREE bag.
- Stylish Unique Design: This diaper bag is the perfect choice for fathers – and mothers. It comes in 3 different colors, so there’s a style that will suit your taste, and it fits all of the things you need to bring with you when you decide to leave the home.
- HEATOO All-in-1 2021 Upgraded Travel Diaper Bag: HEATOO travel baby bag now has 2 new features, including an extendable folding crib with a metal top and a changing station to make diaper-changing easier during your travels. HEATOO provides you with a bag that facilitates travelling as well as changing diapers.
- High Quality Material Protects Your Baby’s Growth: The fabric of HEATOO diaper bag is made of 900D oxford cloth, waterproof material makes this diaper bag a fortress for mom to protect baby’s belongings from the rain.Our HEATOO mummy bag can hold 16L or more, as a professional baby stuff which allows you to carry the necessary supplies for your baby while in travel, and organize your things neatly.
- 18 Multifunction Pockets Facilitate Travel: HEATOO bag features 18 different pockets for storing different items for both the mum and her baby. It’s fashionable, so you’ll look good too!
- Upgraded Tips Eliminates Potential Safety Hazards: When it comes to your newborn, every detail counts. HEATOO ranks customer experience first and that’s what is different about their bassinets – the installation process is fast, simple and stable thanks to the telescopic steel rods instead of plastic tubes. An extra pacifier case is included for when you’re on the go.
- All-in-One Design: A large diaper bag (size: 16.5″ x 8″ x 12″) with a compartment that include a changing mat and stroller straps, zipper pocket for wipes, 5 pockets for insulated bottles, an outside key loop, and attachment point openings. This pack has plenty of storage options. There are 2 large zones with lots of space and 18 pouches. It’s a cinch to pack, grab, and go.
- Convenient and Handsfree: You’ll really love the extra wide opening on this bag. It allows you to find what you are looking for quickly and it also has dual zippers for even easier closure with just one hand! The anti-theft back pocket is perfect for safely storing your valuables. The built-in stroller straps will help to make your walk around town feel much more comfortable
- Pacifier Case & Portable Changing Pad: The pacifier pod can hold two pacifiers, to keep them readily available and clean. The handy D-shaped ring lets you easily attach pacifiers or anything else like a diaper bag dispenser. It also comes with a travel changing mat with extra pockets.
- Durability to last: this backpack diaper bag is made from durable, lightweight, and waterproof fabric. It also features an easy-to-clean lining and high-quality zippers that are capable of resisting spilled milk or water. The easy-to-carry strap design and ergonomic back support will take any stress off your back and shoulders when you are carrying it.
- Backpack diaper bag with changing pad: (dimension: 11.8l x 7.8w x 16.5h inches; Mat Size: 23l x 15w inches). With two large zipper compartments, lockable zipper pockets, and 16 other pockets for storing all of your baby essentials this bag is perfect for moms on the go. Insulated bottle pockets can hold most of wide neck or tall baby bottles, from 5 oz to 11oz.
- Designed for Convenience -This diaper backpack’s extra wide opening allows you to find that one thing in a hurry and it has dual zippers in case you can’t use both hands. The handle is easy to grab and there is thick padding on the shoulder straps. It also has an ergonomic design that makes it comfortable for carrying.
- Convertible and so Versatile – This diaper bag can be worn on the front, back, or clipped to the stroller. You can use this bag for just about anything: traveling, shopping, and so much more. Moreover, its practical and unisex design make this diaper bag backpack perfect for travelling.
- Durable that’ll last for years – This diaper backpack is made of lightweight, strong and waterproof fabric. Non-fraying stitching, and strong zippers.
- Over ten pockets, including insulated baby bottle holders: The interior of this diaper bag has a padded pocket for your laptop and mesh pockets for organization. You’ll always have a convenient place to put your baby bottles or food, and you’ll never misplace your keys, wallet or diapers.
- Stroller straps and oversized changing pad included: Don’t pay extra for essential diaper bag accessories. Incorporating strong stroller straps and a wipe-clean waterproof changing pad is what makes this diaper backpack something you’ll look for when you’re out on the go.
- Designed in the USA: This fashionable diaper bag backpack is stylish AND practical. It includes all the functionality you need in a diaper backpack while maintaining a chic look. This baby bag is made from high quality materials; canvas and vegan leather are on the outside, while polyester provides protection inside.
- Large capacity with organization features: The Parker Baby Co diaper bag is the ideal storage solution for all of those baby basics and more. It features a large space to carry diapers, clothes, toys and other essentials for your little one.
READ MORE ON RAISING LITTLE TRAVELLERS:
Photo credit: personal and Unsplash.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost to you.