In the world where the Earth is choking on pollution and entire species go extinct it’s very important to teach our kids about the environment.
Seeing animals die from plastic pollution and other waste brings me to tears. Although I try to minimise my impact on the environment, unfortunately it does not always work the way I’d like it to.
I don’t eat animals, but I failed at trying to live a zero waste life. And I even failed at living a totally plastic-free life. For me plastic is like a nightmare creeping around every corner.
However as they say, it’s better if a hundred of us do our best to reduce the impact on the environment imperfectly, rather than one person who does it perfectly.
HOW I TEACH MY DAUGHTER ABOUT THE ENVIRONMENT
- I teach Thea about recycling- how to recycle and why we should be doing that.
- What is plastic and what harm does it do to marine life.
- Ordering take-away food in our own reusable containers rather than in single use plastic boxes.
- We are using compostable bamboo toothbrushes instead of plastic ones.
- No plastic straws nor plastic bags.
- In addition to that we discuss the importance of preserving water, reducing food waste, donating clothes and toys instead of throwing them away etc.
Moreover her grandfather, who’s hobby is bee keeping, teaches her about the importance of bees in our ecosystem and why he had installed solar panels on the roof. While her grandmother teaches her about gardening and growing organic herbs, fruits and veggies.
AMAZING BOOKS THAT TEACH KIDS ABOUT THE ENVIRONMENT
I try to educate her daily about diverse issues and preservation of resources and one of the ways that help me do that are reading books about the environment together.
Therefore I’m sharing 10 great books below that feature various messages for the little ones about the beauty of nature, recycling, environmental activism and so much more.
Why it’s great? You enter your child’s name and an avatar that more or less matches the colour of your child’s skin and hair. And voila, throughout the book your child travels and sees why the Planet needs to be saved and how can we can help do that.
I am adding a photo of one of the chapters for my daughter Thea. If you are looking just for one book, this is THE one. It is aimed at children who are 3-10 years old. And you know what else is great? They ship worldwide!
The other amazing books for the little readers:
- Heroes of the Environment: True Stories of People Who Are Helping to Protect Our Planet
2. World Without Fish is a uniquely illustrated, narrative nonfiction for children about what’s happening to fish, the oceans, our environment and what can kids do about it.
3. 101 Small Ways to Change the World. Shows how you’re never too young to make a big difference. The book includes random acts of kindness, craft projects, energy-saving ideas, and much more.
4. Why Water’s Worth It. This educational picture book is about a little girl with a big story to tell – Why Water’s Worth It. She walks young readers through the world of clean water and the importance of everyone working together to protect it. Written for 4- to 8 -year-olds but with appeal to readers of all ages. This book uses fun, engaging illustrations and rhyming text to present a simple explanation of a complex process. Moreover it encourages personal responsibility and thoughtful, “green” choices. The book also includes a list of small ways to make a big difference and cool facts to explain why water’s worth it!
5. What a Waste: Trash, Recycling and Protecting our Planet. This educational book will teach the little readers about how our actions affect planet Earth and the big impact we can make by the little things we do.
6. With The Everything Kids’ Environment Book, young readers will find out what you can do every day to help protect our planet. Moreover you’ll also learn why rainforests are so important, how animals go extinct and what environmentalists can tell us about taking good care of our world.
7. In ‘Over and Under the Pond’ a little boy and his mom row over the pond. This is an amazing children’s book that teaches about the environment and about life in the pond. The illustrations are beautiful, it is very well written and contains rich vocabulary.
8. Little Turtle and the Changing Sea. A beautiful story about Little Turtle which brought tears to my eyes. This book explores the problem of plastic waste in the ocean via Turtle’s journey.
9. The Amazing Life Cycle of Plants. How do plants grow? This book explores the journey from seed to sapling and beyond. Kids have lots of questions about the world around them, and this book helps them discover many amazing and wonderful facts about nature in a fun and entertaining way.
10. The Sunburnt Polar Bear: Helping Children understand Climate Change and feel empowered to make a difference. This climate change story gently introduces little ones to climate change and helps them feel like part of the solution.
So this is the list of great books that teach kids about the environment we love. Let me know if you have your favourites that I should add to the list!
By the way, another great tool that helps children learn about the environment and understand that they are never too young to be givers and doers is For Purpose Kids monthly subscription boxes. I particularly love their Protecting Our Environment toolkit. Ideally every child should have it. Click on the link above for more information on teaching kindness to others, animals and the environment.
IF YOUR CHILDREN LOVE ARTS AND CRAFTS CHECK OUT THESE ARTICLES:
While I honestly like these books and find them useful when educating children about the environment, some of the links are affiliate marketing links. Meaning if you choose to purchase books via those links I will earn a small commission fee at no extra charge to you. Thank you so much!